In the 1950's, a surgical procedure for the brain called the frontal lobotomy became popular. The surgery separated the frontal lobe of a patient's brain and left patients without personality, dulled, and emotionally blunted.

As someone living in the rat-race city of New York, I was always afraid my environment was going to give me a lobotomy. So here's to preserving my frontal lobe...

Monday, February 25, 2008

Edumacation

One of the best speeches I have ever heard.

"But what we do know is that if you are not prepared to be wrong you will never come up with anything original... And by the time they get to become adults, most children have lost that capacity. They have become frightened of being wrong. And we run our companies like this, by the way, we stigmatize mistakes. And we're now running national education systems where mistakes are the worst thing you can make. And the result is, we are educating people out of their creative capacities."

Sir Ken Robinson on why the education system fails to recognize brilliance


It's 20 minutes, and yeah if you're in Stern that's like time you could be reading useless shit in the WSJ or checking the Bloomberg or mingling with recruiters and professionals that won't ever get you a job or do shit for you...

but for me, this was a brilliant speech and made me think -- something that Stern doesn't do very often for me.

No comments: